On this blog I often reference and recommend IBM Redbooks. Technology is constantly shifting and evolving, and with education budgets shrinking in many organizations, Redbooks can help you keep your skills up to date; or, if you're new to the Power platform, they're a great starting point.
I find that when I read a Redbook and then go try out the concepts on a test box, I'll end up re-reading that Redbook. I just feel it's the best way to learn. You can read every Redbook IBM puts out, but touching a keyboard and trying it and breaking things and seeing what typos might have slipped into the publication is how you transform reading material into practical knowledge.
I know some people don't like IBM Redbooks. I've been told that they're good sleeping aids. Others say they just don't have the time. But I've read (and reread) Redbooks for years, and I know many others who read and learn from them as well.
Lists of AIX-themed Redbooks have been making the rounds on mailing lists and Twitter. I've read a lot of these publications and look forward to reading them all.
So here's my list. It's lengthy, but it'd be even longer had I included storage-related Redbooks. (Although storage pros should definitely check out those publications.)
- POWER 720 & 740 (8202-E4C, 8205-E6C) Technical Overview & Intro
- POWER 710 & 730 (8231-E1C, 8231-E2C) Technical Overview & Intro
- POWER 770 & 780 (9117-MMD, 9179-MHD) Technical Overview & Intro
- POWER 795 (9119-FHB) Technical Overview
- Systems Director 6.3 Best Practices: Installation & Configuration
- Managing Security & Compliance in Virtualized Data Centers Using PowerSC
- AIX V6 Advanced Security Features Intro & Configuration
- IBM PowerVM Live Partition Mobility
- Integrated Virtual Ethernet Adapter Technical Overview & Intro
- POWER HMC Implementation & Usage Guide
- PowerVM Virtualization Intro & Config
- Tuning POWER7 for Analytics
- POWER: SDMC to HMC Migration Guide (RAID1)
- Converting HMC 7042-CR6 or 7042-CR7 Models to RAID1
- Integrated Virtualization Manager for POWER
- PowerVM Best Practices
- Oracle to DB2 Conversion Guide: Compatibility Made Easy
- PowerHA SystemMirror Std Edition 7.1.1 for AIX
If you're looking for a quicker read, check out the IBM Redbooks Point of View publications. These are "brief, strategy-oriented documents that represent an author's perspective on a particular technical topic. Written by senior IBM subject matter experts, the publications examine current industry trends, directions, and emerging technologies."
Have I missed anything? If you've read any Redbooks that aren't on this list, please add them in Comments.