Key IBM i Posts from 2012 “You and i”
This has been an excellent year for IBM i, from many points of view. Professionally, it’s been excellent for me as well – and these two facts are definitely related. I’ve been more involved in talking to clients and partners than ever before, the IBM i team has delivered several key enhancements, and I am excited about the plans we have for 2013 and beyond.
As 2012 draws to a close, I want to leave you with a “summary” post that can serve to gather together the most important messages I’ve delivered here through the year. I’ve organized them into themes
Two Technology Refreshes came out in 2012, and those are important, but they are not the only big announcements:
- IBM i 7.1 TR4 – with Live Partition Mobility
- IBM i 7.1 TR5 – Navigator, Guardium, BRMS Enterprise & more
- V5R4 End of Service coming 9/30/13
- Software Group Announcements around Rational Open Access and Sub-Capacity Virtualization Pricing
IBM i and Smarter Planet
A theme of our messages this year was to show how IBM i fits into the larger message from IBM about building a smarter planet.
- Cherry Central – an IBM i client selected as an example of Smarter Planet when the initiative first began.
- IBM i - Designed for Data Video – The first of three pillars for Smarter Computing, and a clear strength of IBM i.
- IBM – Workload Optimized – The second pillar, in which IBM i benefits again from our DB2 implementation, plus our focus on integrating with applications and storage.
- IBM i – Managed with Cloud Technologies – Finally, the Cloud video, which features Live Partition Mobility.
Strategic Messages and Customer Resources
I use this blog to more clearly articulate messages we want you to know about IBM i’s strategy and to share material that you might find useful.
- IBM i Information Strategy – Here is an overview that describes the relationship between blogs, the Information Center, developerWorks and so on. This is likely to be a key theme in 2013.
- “Why IBM i?” Presentation refresh and some overview material about the architecture – We make this presentation available for people to use if they find it helpful. We updated it a couple of times this year and will likely publish more “Why i?” content next year. Watch this space.
- IBM i into the 2020s – A recent blog discussing the long life we are planning for IBM i.
- ITG Studies for IBM i Midsize and Enterprise Clients – The most recent post, with very important information about the financial benefits of using IBM i & Power Systems.
I’ve also had a couple of customer reference posts, one about Turner Industries and another about Nishii Paint Industry, a customer IBM i won from the competition. I hope to have more of these next year, because I’ve received quite a few positive comments about the value of these examples.
I look forward to continuing this blog into 2013. I know we have many new things to tell you about throughout the year. I also want to share some of the stories of clients using IBM i solutions to enable their businesses to succeed.
But first, vacation! I’ll enjoy some time off around the holidays. I hope you all can, too. See you next year!